[NBLUG/talk] Cobalt server and parsing access logs

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Fri May 21 15:04:14 PDT 2004

First, I have to ask:  doesn't Yahoo know what they delivered?  Can't
THEY tell the customer what's there?  <sigh>

I had thought that the Cobalt series was x86.  I admit I have
never looked close, but...
   http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/servers/0,39020363,39118845,00.htm
talks about 2 series (Raq & Qube) that are x86.
Also mentioned in that article are a couple of support sites...
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/cobalt-rom
   http://open.cobaltqube.org/

FWIW, I wouldn't necessarily count on /var/log to have a complete record
of all apps installed; some will log to their own "unique" locations.

Examine /etc/rc startup-scripts to see what auto-starts at boot, do "ps"
on the running system, check inetd.conf, and look in the high-level
directories to see if there are app-named install-dirs.  From the
outside, portscan the box.

What's the package-utility for the Cobalt flavor of linux... does it use
RPM's?  Debian "apt"s?  Etc... Whatever, it should have some method of
reviewing package-installs.

- Steve S.