[NBLUG/talk] Cobalt server and parsing access logs

Troy Arnold fryman at sonic.net
Fri May 21 16:12:49 PDT 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 04:02:52PM -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> Chris -
>
> I think I figured out what I need to do:
>
> The logging appears to put all logs for each month into one "overall"
> log.  This log is the one the built in parser uses, so I'll rename it
> and cat the months I want into a new one.
>
> My intial strategy was to get the BIG log file and parse it myself.

awstats is an easy to configure web based log analysis tool that shows
everything most 'clients' wish to see.
http://awstats.sourceforge.net/
Once it parses log files once, it doesn't need to parse them
again, but it instead adds new data to the reports.

I haven't run it on any huge datasets, but it seems to perform well
enough on logs of a million or so rows.

-troy