[NBLUG/talk] 2.6.9 kernel boots without virtual consoles

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 20:48:59 PST 2004

First off--I compiled the 2.6.9 kernel from source and it booted!
Woohoo! Woohoo! Woohoo! :-D

Unfortunately, I seem to have overwritted the old kernel in the
process (hey, the instructions said to run "make install", and I ran
"make install"). I'm crossing my fingers hoping that I won't wind up
regretting that.

So far, everything seems to work (though I haven't really tested
everything), except for the different virtual consoles. Console one is
dead, so I don't get any output during startup or shutdown. Once X
starts, it's fine (and X is the important thing, after all!), but none
of the other virtual consoles work.

On the bright side, it now boots at a record speed :-) but it freaks
me out that I can't see what's going on. The first time I rebooted, I
was certain I had killed my computer until I noticed the HDD light
flickering. I don't need the fancy splash sceen (actually, I hate the
splash screen SuSE wants you to use), I just want to be able to see
what's going on.

So, do I just need to find the right tweak in my grub configuration,
or is there an option I missed while compiling?

Woohoo!
William