[NBLUG/talk] Using 37MB out of 38MB that I have - (was: "too many files").

troy fryman at sonic.net
Mon Nov 15 10:01:16 PST 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 08:44:47PM -0800, Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
> I used "deborphan", but it was meagre, did not yield
> too much space. Nothing improved--it's using too much
> memory, everything's crawling--it got this way
> gradually, somehow.

Okay, if things are slow than you're running out of RAM, not disk space.
Deborphan will only help you on the disk space side.

Looking at the output from pstree you should be able to remove the
following items to free up some ram:

famd -- it allows fam aware applications to poll the fam server rather
than doing a stat() to see if a file had changed.  Not really necessary
to run, although you may have to manually 'refresh' a directory listing in a
fam-aware app.
'apt-get remove fam'

inetd -- If you aren't running any local services (ftpd, etc.) than you
don't need this.

named -- probably configured as a caching nameserver.  Your system will
benefit from some extra RAM much more than the slightly quicker DNS
lookups that named would provide.

portmap -- probably not necessary unless you're using NFS.

gkrellmd -- Not necessary even if you are running gkrellm.  If you /are/
running gkrellm, you need to ask yourself how important it is to you
given your limited RAM.

-troy