[NBLUG/talk] Too little memory on my laptop (40MB) - continued after a total re-install.

Mr. Jan Hearthstone hearthstone11 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 15:35:19 PST 2004

  Somehow I had to re-install, and I decided to do
without any display manager (xdm, gdm), arguing that
"xinit" would provide me with an "xterm" to call forth
any wm I desired. Wrong! I installed ~/.xinitrc and
~/.xsession with "exec fluxbox" (I even tried
/usr/bin/fluxbox - nodifference) as the last line, but
it never happened.
  If I use "startx", I always get the resources
hogging xfce4 that I cannot get rid of, and
"update-alternatives --config x-window-manager"
doesn't even list it! It doesn't matter if I designate
"fluxbox" as the default, even xdm starts with xfce4
only!
  I ended up with deleting the ~/.xinitrc and the
~/.xsession (as it was originally).
  Any insights?
  Thanks, Hearthstone.

=====
Modelling the Future:
http://gief.pair.com/hearth/modelearth.html

A penny more: Should we, the people, be sincere about wanting a real peace on Earth, we would spend at least a penny more on active promotion of peace, than what we spend on the military.