[NBLUG/talk] HP CD Writer

Alan Bloom n1al at cds1.net
Fri Oct 1 17:17:48 PDT 2004

I'm a Linux newbie.  I finally saw the light and installed Fedora on my
old computer.  I've got everything installed and working (including the
internal Win modem!) except for the external CD writer.  It's an HP
CD-Writer Plus 7500e that interfaces through the parallel printer port.
I've spent hours searching through the Fedora documentation and the
Internet and still can't figure out how to make it work.  I found a
similar question on
LinuxQuestions.org:
"dnewman5:  ... I have an HP CD-Writer Plus 7500 that I would like to
use as backup media.  Is there a way I can configure this CD writer to
talk to redhat?  Is there drivers available for this thing?..."

"no2nt:  There are no drivers for this particular thing.  The linux
kernel will recognize the burner as a cdrom and you'll need to use a
program like cdrecord to burn data to a disk.  Your 7500 is compatible."

And he gives URLs for "CD Writing HOW-TO" and a download site for
cdrecord.

The cdrecord program is already installed.  If I type "cdrecord
-scanbus" it says "cdrecord: No such file or directory.  Cannot open
'dev/pg'.  Cannot open SCSI driver."

To get a list of transport drivers I typed "cdrecord dev=help" and one
of the four devices listed is "Transport name: pg, Transport descr: SCSI
transport for ATAPI over Parallel Port"

So I assume pg is what I want.  But what exactly do I do to get my
parallel-port CD writer to be recognised?

Alan "Clueless in Santa Rosa"