[NBLUG/talk] SSH issues

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Wed Oct 6 13:31:46 PDT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, A'fish'ionado wrote:

> Is there a way to simply disable the SSH server? I'm on dialup, and my
> machines are never online when I'm gone, so I'm never going to SSH
> into them.
>
> Of course, I'm probably a much harder target to his because of that, anyway. :-)

you don't say what kind of system you're using, but there are several ways
you can stop sshd.

1) let it start, but look for it in the process list (ps) and kill the daemon.
2) if you're using a distribution with rcx.d type startup then remove the
   link that starts the daemon or change it from S20dhcp to s20dhcp (changing
   the case of S to lower case keeps the startup script from running)
3) if you're using slackware or BSD type startups change the name of
   /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd to something like /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd.no
4) you can change the file sshd_config to another name (or remove the file
   completely, in which case the startup scripts won't start).
5) you could rename the file /usr/sbin/sshd to something like sshd.no and
   so it wouldn't start.

hth

-ron