[NBLUG/talk] MPlayer with AA

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 09:28:04 PDT 2004

I finally got MPlayer to run with AA. Yay!

I first tried building it myself, but got an "internal compiler
error." When I tried the precompiled binary, sound didn't work, and AA
wasn't included.

So, I downloaded the latest version of gcc from gnu.org and built it.
MPlayer still didn't want to build. Then I found out that 1) The
makefile for MPlayer used cc, not gcc 2) the new version of gcc wasn't
on the path for root (gcc -v as a user showed the new version, gcc -v
as root showed the old version). I fixed this with ./configure
--with-aa cc=/usr/local/bin/gcc .

Now, to see if I can get caca installed and running. :-) Though, when
I hit their site, I noticed this line:

"I am not aware of an MPlayer patch yet (but you should not be using
MPlayer anyway, because it sucks)."

Anybody know offhand what the heck this is about? Can't hurt to dl the
development libraries and try building mplayer with it, though.

William