[NBLUG/talk] USB WiFi modems

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Wed Sep 22 09:00:11 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 08:39:17AM -0700, R C Smith wrote:
> So far I made this much progress (?).
> I went to the big list (AbloluteValue Systems linux-wlan.com) of WiFi modems
> found mine:
>     AirVast USB module WM168 Prism 2,2.5,3 chip no linux drivers listed no
> other usb module listed.
>     Browsed list usb modems with Prism2,2.5,3 use linux wlan-ng. So I got
> wlan-ng for 2.4 & 2.6 debian for Knoppix.
> The site said after installing use modconf, so I tried this to see if either
> was allready installed nothing showed up. Then used Kpackage manager and it
> says that both packages are there and installed.
> I am now lost. I have another sacrifical computer with a pci wireless that I
> can put Knoppix on the HD.
> I am not sure what "installed" means in terms of a live CD need to check my
> assumptions.
> Kyle when is your book due out? It would probably clear up much.
> Bob Smith

Actually, if your card is supported by linux-wlan-ng then you should be in
luck since Knoppix includes the wlan-ng modules. It should even start it up
at boot so that all you would need to do to configure it might be to go to
Kmenu->Knoppix->Internet/Network->wavelan configuration. Of course iwconfig
doesn't list wlan0 as one of the interface, you might need to try loading
the usb wlan-ng module by hand.

The book's out October 27th, but it doesn't go into incredible detail about
how to get each different wireless card working in Linux, as that's a topic
big enough for it's own book (like for instance Linux Unwired).

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org