[NBLUG/talk] Vanishing nodes in /dev

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Fri Sep 24 14:18:32 PDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 12:44, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 12:09, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > Every time I restart my computer (running Debian/testing), I find that
> > all of my "loop" device nodes disappear!  What could cause such a thing?
>
> I'm still not sure what's going on, but as soon as I manually loaded the
> "loop" module (which I thought I had set to automatically load, but I
> apparently I had not), the "loop" device nodes re-appeared.

Wierd, is this a stock kernel... 2.4.26-1?  Are you using an initrd image?
How did you set the loop module to automatically load and why????

The reason I ask.  I have a stock Deb 3.1 testing system (vmware) that has all
8 loop devices in /dev/.  No problem.  I mounted the initrd image on a loop
device to see what was inside..... kind of informative.

--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com