[NBLUG/talk] dual boot beginner

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Sun Apr 3 11:23:25 PDT 2005

Hi, Lynn,

New to the group? Welcome.

Most modern Linux distributions will have FAT (old Windows type)
partition resizing capabilities built into their installers. Some
can do NTFS (which you're not using) as well. Just start the
installer for your Linux distro. After a few clicks of the mouse,
you'll come to the part where you choose how to partition your
disk. Read the options carefully, then choose the one that allows
you to take space from your existing Windows install to be used
for Linux. If the partitioning routine was designed properly,
you'll be able to muck around with your partitions as much as you
want, getting them just the way you want them, and then bail
without making any permanent changes to your existing partiton(s)
if you decide things aren't turning out the way you like. Then
you can go back and give it another shot. Later on in the
install, you'll be given the opportunity to install a "boot
loader" or "boot manager" (the most common ones are GRUB and
LILO). This is a little program that runs on start-up which
allows you to easily choose which OS you want to run. You should
choose to install it.

One little tip: it's best to defragment your Windows partition
just before you do the Linux install. It's best to do this from
Windows' "Safe Mode" so the defragmenter doesn't keep stopping
and restarting. Just after you start your computer, before
Windows starts to load, hit the F8 key (maybe several times). You
will be presented with a menu of Windows boot options. Choose
"Safe Mode". In Safe Mode, defragment the drive, then shut
Windows down and start the Linux installer.

Now, having said all this, let's talk about your chosen Linux
distro. Red Hat 7.2 is pretty darn old. It's no longer being
maintained, which means no security fixes, no bug fixes and no
new software. Best to go with a recent version of Linux: Fedora
Core 3, Mandrake 10.something, SuSE 9.2 or Debian "Sarge". You'll
have a much better experience with any of those. And the
installers are better, too.

If any of this seems a bit daunting, I noticed on the NBLUG.org
Website a few weeks ago that we have very tentative plans for an
InstallFest some time in May. We can give you all the help you
need there, plus we'll have all the latest distros on hand.

Good luck, and write us if you need more help.

A.