[NBLUG/talk] dual boot beginner

Lynn lynnsears at comcast.net
Thu Apr 7 15:24:35 PDT 2005

So I took the advice and went for a newer distribution.  I bought 5
disks of suse 9.1 pro.  I stuck in the #1 cd after running scandisk,
defragmenting the drive and running suse's memory check.  Things went
very smoothly, the hard drive was repartitioned (shows up on fdisk as
being changed anyway and my windows 98se now has 5 of a 10 gig hd. But,
the package load returned errors on 47 of the packages and the installer
would never allow me to do the configuration phase.   I tried 4 times to
do the install using the repair tools that came with the disks but the
installer would never complete the process.  One of the installs said
there was no /etc/sysconfig/kernel file and other times it just said
unable to complete install.  My small experience with linux is from when
red hat 7.2 was brand new and my experience then was that I never had
any problems with the linux install.My problem  was  trying to get the
windows and linux to get along on the same drive and configuring linux
to dial out  or some such thing.  What does this sound like to anyone
that would care to respond?  My guess is a faulty install disk. That
guess maybe just me not wanting to admit defeat.  I bought the disks
online from a place called " love of scents/pcTech101"  and they cost me
9.99.  Thanks....Lynn