[NBLUG/talk] Mepis mini-mini review

Robert Chow robertchow999 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 19:19:54 PDT 2005

--- A'fish'ionado <afishionado at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah ... I'm staying away from Ubuntu because I
> can't get used to the
> idea of not being able to log in as root. :-P I've
> had lots of
> experience with programs (Firefox and YaST come to
> mind) that are
> unable to connect to the X server if you run them
> via su or sudo as a
> different user than you are logged in to X as.
>
> That may be just something funny with SuSE, though.
> I haven't really
> played enough with Debian to tell if it has similar
> problems.
I have no problem with not being able to log in as
root as I've disabled the ability on my Mandrake box.
A user can still su as root so his actions get logged
but root log in is not a good thing in my estimation.
Ubantu disables root access but if you run one of
their scripts/programs you supposedly get root back.
In my brief look at Ubantu, I have not found this
program to run right. I was not able to su as root. I
had no intention of wrestling with Ubantu to figure
out what went wrong when so many other distros can do
the job  without fuss.