[NBLUG/talk] "Stealth'ing" *NIX into a MS-Win shop...?

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Wed Dec 14 16:41:51 PST 2005

On Wed, December 14, 2005 16:15, Walter Hansen wrote:
> It seems to me that the first task you need to do is find out what the
> server is doing for the users. Some possiblities are file serving, mail
> serving, autentication and database serving. There are many other
> possiblities. Only at that point can even think about running mirror
> services under *ix.
>
> AFAIK samba is really only for file serving, but they may have
> expanded it's role since I last set up a samaba server.

The existing box that I have in mind is "mainly" a file-server from
most people's perspective.  Those who know, also realize that it's
a print-server, and maybe that it's a PDC.  It also runs a database,
but I'm not looking to replace that function at this time.

I'm not necessarily looking to de-comission the box with my project;
if I can build a server that will mirror the file-content, be a BDC, and
spool/print (so that in the event of downtime, it will take over) I'll be
a happy camper!

Mail-service is a different box, and I don't anticipate replacing it any
time soon; the one guy who "mostly" admins the box raves about
its reliability, both OS and app.

- Steve S.