[NBLUG/talk] Zeta

scottmc at sonic.net scottmc at sonic.net
Thu Dec 15 11:20:11 PST 2005

It was nice to see the discussion the other night showing some of the
different distros.  Here's a link to the free download of Zeta, although
not Linux and not fully open source, might still be of interest to some.
The live CD will let you see if it works on your PC before shelling out
for the full version which is now available in the states through
purplus.com

Zeta is the new release from yellowTab based in Germany, it's the follow
up to BeOS.  It contains open source code along with code they got from Be
Inc which is closed source.  One day they may move over to using the Haiku
codebase but they haven't committed to doing that yet.
Haiku is getting closer but still not done yet.  Their site is
Haiku-os.org, there's a few news sites around to, including
iscomputeron.com, haikunews.org, and my site BeDrivers.com

You can download the live-cd demo version of Zeta at:
http://download.freenet.de/archiv_z/zeta_live-cd_7560.html .

Here's the story on ICO which explains how to burn it:
http://www.iscomputeron.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=752
If anyone would like to try it but can't get it to burn just email me and
I'll burn a few copies and bring to the Feb 7th meeting.

Note that it defaults to German, you can change the language by clicking
on ZETA->Einstellungen->Sprache. All of the programs will change into the
english language except the Firefox-Browser.

-scottmc
www.bedrivers.com
(rohnert park)