[NBLUG/talk] Cheap Computers for All

C. Mike Rice dolo724 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 11:31:53 PST 2005

Bob Blick wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2005 at 17:34, R C Smith wrote:
>
>>I put Damn Small Linux on a Toshiba laptop Portage T3600CT 486 50 MHz 24 MB
>>memory 500 MB HD. Swap was set to 96 MB The display is vga only. It was work
>>because no cd boot, parallel port cd. I did this to get support for a pcmcia
>>wireless card.

hmmm... I debate the efficacy of actually putting a window manager on
such a machine. For fun, sure.

I recall the Thinkpad 500 I put Debian 2.0.36 onto from disks, 386
25MHz, 12 MB  ram, at an installfest a few years ago. I was more
interested in using the machine for notes and surfing, and it still runs
better with CLI than it did with the Windows 3.11 it came with.

Graphics? feh! well, I do suffer some. I learned to use vi and joe,
among other things. It's also a great firewall...

Mike
--
"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." - Voltaire