[NBLUG/talk] Setting up X on a secondary video card

thiessen at sonic.net thiessen at sonic.net
Wed Dec 28 07:56:04 PST 2005

> On Tuesday 27 December 2005 09:58 pm, thiessen at sonic.net wrote:
>> (1)  Does your xorg.conf file really read:
>>
>>          BusID           "PCI:1:13:0"
>>
>> When "X -scanpci" tells you that the card is at 0:13:0  ?
>
> It seems that I typed in the wrong BusID.  I corrected the BusID and it
> worked.
>
> Almost feels like I temporarily forgot how to read...

Heh.  Glad the fix was that easy.  I can guarantee you that I've done worse...

>> (2)  I don't know how well the vga driver plays with the TNT2 video card.
>>      Try the "nv" driver instead.
>
> I can tell you now that it plays well, although since it *is* the vga driver,
> the results are rather unimpressive.  I will experiment with the nv driver,
> though.

The last commercial nvidia driver I see that supports the TNT2 was the 1.0-7174
relase:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-7174.html

That's probably your best other option, depending on whether you care about
OpenGL
and 3D.

> Don't you wish you had more energy... or less ambition?

Personally, I'd settle for more sleep.  But that's just me.

Justin