No subject

Sun Feb 20 16:52:19 PST 2005

resource reservation for certain IP addresses. You might want to check
your manual for certain.

If you choose to go the route f manual assignment of IP addresses, make
sure you either turn off the DHCP server, or tell it to not serve the
range/sequence of IP addresses you assign manually, or find some other way
to prevent the DHCP server from assigning IP addresses to other machines
you may ever get which are in use by the manually assigned machines.

> Yes, I am now using Red Hat 6.2 which is reinstalling right now.

I *think* that this would mean that all of Frank E Ball's responses are
a large part of what you are looking for.

> Yes, I can initiate any of the 3 tools, "netcfg" or "netconf" or
> "control-panel" each of which allow me a graphic interface to configure the
> values below.
>
> IP Address: 192.168.1.4
> Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
> Gateway IP: 192.168.1.1
> Broadcast:  192.168.1.255
> DNS:        207.217.126.81

> I did get an error
> "delying eth0 initialization"
> and some other stuff
> Something about /lib/something and "tulip" (the driver for my ethernet card
> from Kensington)

Ah! This might be the problem. Let us focus here.

If your ethernet interface is not being recognized by the kernel, then
and "ifconfig" of "eth0" might show errors.

If all of the "ifconfig" statements I offered you gave errors, then we
need to look into drivers.

Here is an example of what ifconfig for an ethernet interface might
provide:

-
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:AA:11:BB:22:CC
          inet addr:172.16.0.1  Bcast:172.16.31.255  Mask:255.255.224.0
          EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:65280/49
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          Collisions:27
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x300
-

In this case, my working ethernet interface on this machine has been
configured with the above information. (Yours may or may not have all of
the entries above like PROMISC, EtherTalk Phase 2 etc. but it should at
least have HWaddr and the RX,TX lines.

When you issue an "ifconfig eth0" as root, or /path/to/ifconfig eth0 (like
/usr/sbin/ifconfig eth0 or /sbin/ifconfig eth0) as a regualr user, you do
not see any of the above?

If this is the case, we need to look into the kernel, and/or modules
loaded for your ethernet card to make sure your card is talking to the OS.

You have a Kensington, and I seem to recall that the tulip chipset/drivers
were from DEC. DEC did license their tulip chipset to other vendors (I
think) but I don't know if kensington was one of them.

Any specifics on the ethernet card you have would be helpful.

if you have the box, or model of the card that might be helpful. It is
ISA, PCI, ? Also some more information...

as root if it does not work as a regualr user try:
# dmesg |less
or if that does not work:
# dmesg |more

then type in:
/eth
and press return

This should push the output of dmesg through a pager called more and the
"/eth" will perform a search within the output and jump to that location
in the output. Then you should be able to use your arrow keys to scroll up
or down.

3 lines above and below the occurance of "eth" may show probed information
from any ethernet cards found by your kernel on startup. Copy and paste
that here and we can ry to see if that helps too.

(Here is an example of this...)
-
3c59x.c:v0.99H 11/17/98 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port, address  00 aa 11 bb 22 cc, IRQ 11.
3c509.c:1.16 (2.2) 2/3/98 becker at cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov.
-
(yours will likely offer different information as the driver for your card
would likely be written by someone else. :-)

Seeing as how you have triied to use the tools you mentioned earlier,
checking drivers and physical access are the next logical steps.

For physical ink state:  If you have a hub with "Das Blinken Lights" (not
real Deutsche BTW) look at the lights for the port connecting the ethernet
card to the hub. Are the lights for this Linux box port lit up the same
way as for the macs?  Same color? If there are more than just link lights
(say activity lights for example)  then see if those come on when you ping
the linux box IP address.

If the card hhas link lights look at them.

Also swap the cables used by one of the macs that you know works with the
linux box.

Also, is the card on the linux box a 10/100 and is your hub a 10/100? can
you tell one or the other to not auto-sense to speed, and instead
configure it manually to 10baseT instead of 100BaseT?

Thanks,
--ME