[NBLUG/talk] Debian Rescue Floppy

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Tue Feb 1 13:07:34 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:49:56PM -0800, Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
> In past I inquired about how to use the "Debian Rescue
> Floppy"; I got a few pieces of advice, but nothing
> worked.
> I am again at a point where I have to decide between a
> re-install (and losing files), or getting into the hda
> and fixing "lilo" that did not get
> "dpkg-reconfigure"-d during my kernel re-install.
> I googled high and low, but nowhere it says anything
> properly how to use the "Debian Rescue Floppy".
> The floppy itself says that my old files are on a
> "target", but I can never (well, once I've seen it
> there, but only once) find any "target", but "target0"
> that apparently has nothing to do with my "hda".
> Please, tell me how is one supposed to use the "Debian
> Rescue Floppy" to fix anything on the "hda"!
> Thanks, Hearthstone.
>
> =====
> If we,the people, were sincere about wanting Peace, then we would spend more on active creation of Peace than what we spend on the military.Legalize the Right to Sleep! http://www.modelearth.org/sleepright.htmlhttp://www.MODELEARTH.org

Does your system have a cd-rom drive? If so, I think a Knoppix CD or other
rescue CD would be a lot more useful for you. You can grab Knoppix from
a number of mirrors at http://www.knoppix.org. When you boot it, you can
then open up a terminal and mount your root drive (let's assume it's hda1):

   sudo mount -o rw,dev /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

Then you can go in and edit the /etc/lilo.conf file according to the
kernels you have set up (and if you have questions about that we can answer
those here, just provide the list of kernels in /boot and your current
lilo.conf). Once lilo.conf is how you want it, type:

   sudo chroot /mnt/hda1 /sbin/lilo

Which will restore lilo to the master boot record.

Hope this helps. These steps should work for the most part for any bootable
CD that has chroot installed. At most you may have to remove the "sudo"
part of the command. Or, you could also sign up for the installfest and we
could fix the problem there ;)

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President