[NBLUG/talk] NMI and Dazed & Confused error

h.schnirman h.schnirman at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 7 18:20:31 PST 2005

Unfortunately I missed the Installfest.

I have a second computer that I would like to get Debian running on. One
would like to know if there is any chance that someone would have the time
to help me for a nomimal cost or a couple of bottles or something or other.

But doing a standard install with Woody, I get an error with something like

NMI for unknown reason.

Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?
Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 3c.
Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

I went through the Bios and tried to set everything to Default as much as
possible.

The one thing not ordinary is my controller. I have 3 drives. 2 on a Promise
Ultra66, and one on IDE. I'm trying to load the system on the drive with the
Promise card. The hardware says they support this card.

Here is the hardware.

Tyan Tsunami ATX 1846 Motherboard with BX chipset. Slot I board. I flashed
the Bios to run a Coppermine 800 mhz.

ATI Rage Pro
Sound Blaster Live
Kingston KNE111TX, understand that this is just an upgrade from KNE110TX,
and uses Tulip Driver.
Tekram DC-310 SCSI with Symbios, Also have Adaptec 2903B available, or SIIG
SC-PSOM22. Last one I think is Wintel based, not doable.
Promise Ultra66  PDC20262 chip

Western Digital WD1200 	16383 Cylinders, 16 Heads, 63 Sectors  1.2 Gig
Western Digital AC13500	16383 Cylinders, 16 Heads, 63 Sectors  13.5 Gig
Seagate, not sure of Drive
All are seen by FDISK.

CDROMS: HP CDRW 9500 series & Not sure, I think Toshiba DVD-ROM

Thank You for your time

Howard Schnirman