[NBLUG/talk] NMI and Dazed & Confused error

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Mon Feb 7 23:49:27 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:43:35PM -0800, Howard wrote:
> This is the URL of the official US current release.
>
> http://us.cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/3.0_r4-cd/jigdo/
>
> That shows me a directory with "Woody" as current stable release. How comes
> Sarge is not there??

Sarge is not yet tagged as a Debian 'Stable' release, although it soon
will be.  It *is* ready for general use however.

> Question. With Jigdo I can update my ISO's of Woody. But I can't update
> those ISO's to Sarge?? Or can I?? The point is why keep ISO's on disk if
> when a new ISO may make the old one obsolete??

An excellent observation.  If you have broadband access, the thing to do
is grab a minimal install CD (or floppy set) which will give you a bare
system with net access. From there, the rest of the install proceeds by
grabbing the latest and greatest packages from the sources specified in
your /etc/apt/sources.list.

You can grab a net install CD ISO for sarge here:

Heads up to anyone looking for a good Debian mirror:

http://linux.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/debian/ is reliable and screeeeeaming
fast.  At the installfest at SSU on Saturday, I pulled down 204MB of
updates for my laptop in 38 seconds.

-troy