[NBLUG/talk] help with rlogin no-passwd problem

Steve Wensel swensel at mahinetworks.com
Tue Feb 8 12:00:04 PST 2005

Hello, I'm new to this group today. I've been using/admininstering UNIX for
over 10 years, but am fairly new to Linux.

I'm trying to get this working using a netgroup. This is with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux WS (v. 3 for x86). There's an NIS server running on
Solaris. When I set up the /etc/hosts.equiv file with a hostname and
user the passwd-less rlogin works fine. When I try to use a netgroup, I
get this error in /var/log/messages (user,host changed): Feb 7 17:03:35
<hostname>
not allowed
and I have to enter the passwd.
I ran an experiment with just + + in the /etc/hosts.equiv and got the same
error. This tells me there's some fundamental problem. I've been reading the
docs and looking around and haven't been able to find the answer. Redhat
tells me that they won't help because I just have a WS license with them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

/SteveW