[NBLUG/talk] Knoppix - Toshiba Satellite - Proxima wireless

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Feb 11 09:18:30 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:05:57AM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> I replaced my Linksys wireless card (that I could not get to work with
> Linux) with a Proxima Orinoco Gold (8460-05).  The new card works like a
> champ with Windows (Win 2K), but I have not been able to get it to work
> with Knoppix 3.7 on my Toshiba.  Granted, my Toshiba is a little old,
> but the card dows work flawlessly.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Todd
> --

That's really odd, Orinoco's generally work out of the box (although I've
heard rumors that there is a new model out there that uses a different
chipset). Usually they load the hermes and orinoco_cs modules (which
Knoppix not only has, but has patched modules to allow things like monitor
mode for kismet).

Do you boot Knoppix with the card inserted? If not try that first.
Otherwise, check to make sure the hermes and orinoco_cs modules are loaded
when the card is inserted with the "lsmod" command. If they don't show up,
type:

   modprobe orinoco_cs

to load the module manually. Then you should be able to use the standard
iwconfig commands to get the card up and functioning. All of this, of
course, is contingent on this being a "classic" orinoco gold with the
hermes chipset.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President