[NBLUG/talk] MySQL connection problem

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Sat Feb 19 10:25:38 PST 2005

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 10:08:51AM -0800, Peter Lutz wrote:
> Good Morning.
>
> I don't use MySQL much, but I do have it installed on a Debian testing box.
> It seems to work just fine after an upgrade from 3.23 to 4.0.23, on the
> server.
> The problem is on a client.  When trying to connect,
> shell>mysql -h<HOSTNAME> -u<USERNAME> -p
> I get the error message:
> ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'host_name' (111)

Peter:

I'm just guessing here, but might it be that the problem is firewall
related?  If you are trying to access the mysql server directly from a
remote machine, your firewall will need to allow access to the
appropriate port.

Can you access mysql from the server itself (i.e. locally, without the '-h
<hostname>' part)?

Also - googling for your 'ERROR 2003...' message brings up section
5.5.8 of the Mysql manual as the first hit.  The first paragraph or so
of that page points to the possibility that your mysql server may be
listening on a port other than the one you are trying to use.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net