Fwd: Re: [NBLUG/talk] Debian install

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 15 16:53:12 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 16:43 -0800, Ian Sutherland wrote:
> Thanks, That worked!
> The screen resolution is locked at 800x600, though my video card can handle
> a higher resolution. How do I change the resolution to 1024x768 say?
> I had some difficulty getting the xserver to work.
> When I boot I get a black and white woven desktop with a "login" and
> "password" area. When I logout I get the same screen with no option to
> "restart" or "turn off". I have to turn off the computer with the power switch.

Sounds like you're using xdm; I'd suggest that you switch to gdm, which
has all of the features you're looking for.

The easiest way to do so would be to execute the following commands from
a root shell:

apt-get install gdm
echo "/usr/bin/gdm" > /etc/X11/default-display-manager

The first will download and install gdm if it's not already installed
(or it will use your CD if apt-get is configured to do so).  The second
command changes the default display manager (which, not surprisingly, is
set in the file /etc/X11/default-display-manager).  It is probably set
to "/usr/bin/xdm" right now, and the second command will change it to
"/usr/bin/gdm".

Note that, although gdm is part of the GNOME project, you can use it as
your login manager even if you're using the KDE desktop.  That's what I
do.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>