Fwd: Re: [NBLUG/talk] Debian install

Nat W. calvin166 at pseudoweb.net
Sat Jan 15 17:20:29 PST 2005

Even if you use gdm, you may still be locked into that resolution. To get
around that you need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Scroll down a ways and you'll see

Section "Screen"
	Identifier 	"Screen Name" <-or will be different depending on
your screen
	Device 	"something else, not important at this moment"
	Monitor	"Generic Monitor" <-also may be different
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"

Now there will be multiple subsections each will have something with depth
and Modes. Just add the resolutions you want to the right of the word modes
ex:

		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

You can do this for all of the depths or just some.

In GDM you can now select 1024x768 , plus GDM should default to it, because
it's the largest resolution.

This worked for me, as I had pretty much the same problem as you, but there
might be better ways around it. good luck

-Nat W.
http://www.pseudoweb.net