[NBLUG/talk] Intermittent USB controller failure

Mitch Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Sun Jan 30 03:24:17 PST 2005

I had a problem very similar to this on my Mac Cube, using my USB
speakers and the USB hub built into the apple flat-panel display.

When the speakers were blaring loud music for prolonged periods (the
only way to code... with blasting trance/techno), then the built-in hub
would overheat, and that would cause it to fail intermittently.  This
would have several consequences.  First, my keyboard/mouse would become
unresponsive (since they were on the same hub), second, the sudden
disappearance of integral hardware would occasionally cause kernel
panics.  Since I moved the speakers to USB ports on the main box rather
than using the built-in to the monitor, then I've had no problems.
While this was in MacOS X 10.2, the intermittent nature of the problem
leads be to believe that it's a hardware problem.

So.. the first thing to check is power hungry devices hanging off that
port.  Other than that, i don't have much wisdom to offer.  If the
power-hungry device just can't be removed, then consider borrowing a
USB 2.0 compliant hub with external power supply so you can see if that
aliviates/affects the problem.

   -- Mitch