[NBLUG/talk] localhost: connection refused

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Tue Jul 12 20:20:55 PDT 2005

On Tue, July 12, 2005 14:25, Todd Cary said:

> When I did the suggested netstat -l |egrep "localhost | 127.0.0. | :http
> | :81" (I saw the :80 in the suggestion), the lightbulb turned on!

Note that "netstat" is a pretty fundamental tool in debugging
network issues on *NIX-oid systems.  Ignore it at your peril!  ;)

Also note that, with the egrep pattern given above, you'll get some odd
and possibly-unexpected results:  specifically, the spaces are part
of the patterns, so it's "localhost " and " 127.0.0. " (that 2nd one
won't match ANYTHING, AFAIK, since IP's are 4-octet and a space-
character does NOT fulfill the roll of a decimal octet.

I expect the netstat output to be "host:port" where the "host" can be
a name or an IP; but in no case is there a space-character on either side
of the colon.

- Steve S.