[NBLUG/talk] Linux for an AOL addict?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 17 23:25:05 PDT 2005

I have a mutual friend who is convinced that her computer is painfully
slow not because of the mass of malware that undoubtedly has infested
her Windows 98 system (not to mention "Windows sclerosis"), but because
the computer is a few years old.

I might be able to perform a Linux installation that would prove her
wrong (OpenOffice, Firefox, et al.), but she is using AOL and is
unwilling to switch.  It looks like there is software
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/pengaol/> to allow a Linux box to
connect to an AOL account, but it hasn't been updated since 2002.
Furthermore, I found a few articles dating back to circa 2000 saying
that AOL would move to Linux (at least on their servers), but I can't
find any evidence of AOL client software for Linux.

Has anyone tried to use AOL with Linux?  It is even possible?  Is the
online experience so different from AOL on Windows that it would make a
technophobe cringe?  (OK, that last question is a bit unfair, since I've
met technophobes who would cringe if I just changed the desktop
wallpaper on a computer.)

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

The way to a man's heart is through the left ventricle.