[NBLUG/talk] Linux-oriented PC recycling? (WRT NYTimes "disposable" PC article)

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 19 22:28:02 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 14:56 -0700, A'fish'ionado wrote:
> I sent in my resume to the CRC a few months ago, and let the volunteer
> coordinater know that, among other things, I know Linux.
> Unfortunately, they never contacted me again. I called them up a few
> weeks later and left messages with a few people, but never heard
> back. :-(

I have an idea for a more subtle approach:

About two weeks ago, I purchased an iMac G3 from CRC's "Make an Offer"
shelf for $30; apparently they REALLY didn't want it.  So I brought it
home and installed the PPC build of Ubuntu on it.  It ran just fine,
although it's rather slow and the sound doesn't work.

Then I reconfigured GDM to connect to an XDMCP server (which I set up on
one of my primary computers), so that the iMac functions as a terminal
for a more bigger, more powerful computer (a 2GHz Sempron with 1GB of
RAM).  Since the two computers are connected by a 100BaseTX LAN, the
result is that everything that anyone does with the iMac runs at the
speed of the XDMCP server (i.e. faster than anything could ever possibly
run on an iMac G3).

I've been thinking that I should bring that iMac back to the CRC and
show them what I've done with it (possibly bringing along the XDMCP
server, to get the full effect)...

> You know, I bet somebody could make some good money selling "PC
> rejuvination kits" consisting of Ubuntu/Xandros/whatever CDs with
> manuals and professional tech support (and the best newbie-friendly
> hardware detection and setup tools one can muster). You'd just have to
> market it right [some TV spots might work wonders (get it on Oprah and
> give everyone in the audience a free CD!)].

I like this idea, but I have to worry that there are situations where a
Windows user depends on proprietary software for which there is no
open-source equivalent (such as my AOL addict friend).  Otherwise, it's
a great idea.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

They have been at a great feast of languages, and stolen the scraps.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Love's Labour's Lost"