[NBLUG/talk] Quiet SFF reccommendations/opinions?

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Wed Jul 20 10:54:11 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 10:28:43AM -0700, thiessen at sonic.net wrote:

> I've already specced out parts and determined that I could build a
> standard x86 tower system of acceptable performance and quality for
> somewhere in this
> price range.  I'd prefer to build something with similar specs that is
> smaller and very quiet.  SFF systems have a nice form factor, but reviews
> seem mixed about the noise levels associated.  If any NBLUG members have
> relevant experiences, I'd like to hear about them.  Otherwise I'm back to
> just trying to build/buy the quietest tower system I can in the price
> range.

If that's what you end up doing, I have two suggestions:
1) Use low rpm, large diameter fans.  I like 120mm's
2) spend the extra cash for a nice case. I've generally bought cheap
   cases in the past, but having splurged on a nice Antec case, I'll
   never do that again. Aside from being generally well-designed with
   removable drive bays, etc. it includes rubber grommets on all the mounting
   holes, a variable speed (thermally controlled) power supply fan and a spot
   for a 120mm fan front and rear.  It's also *heavy*.  While not good
   for moving around, it does cut down on vibration.

So, instead of $35 for a case, spend $80.  Your ears will appreciate it.
Newegg.com has surprisingly inexpensive shipping options on cases, BTW.

Depending on your CPU choice, you may have good luck with one of those
"butterfly" heat sinks (lots of very thin fins giving oodles of surface
area for heat dissipation), and again, a large diameter, low rpm cpu
fan.  I've found that one 120mm fan and the cpu fan/sink are all I need
to keep this Althon 64 3200+ cool even under heavy fragging^w kernel
compilations.

-troy