[NBLUG/talk] Enlightenment and Xscreensaver

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Sun Jun 12 19:26:09 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 11:36:03AM -0700, A'fish'ionado wrote:
> Alright, Google isn't being helpful about this.
>
> I can't get the Xscreensaver daemon to launch when I log into Enlightenment.
>
> I'm using GDM for log in, and don't see a way to have it launch extra
> daemons as part of the log in process (it looks like XDM could do what
> I want, but it seems sad to replace GDM with XDM). I poked around the
> files in ~/.enlightenement, and the session management files looked a
> little scary to edit manually.
>
> When I heard there was an Epplet named E-Xscreensaver, I tried
> installing the Epplets package, and found that it only ran
> xscreensaver-command, assuming that the daemon was already launched. I
> looked at the Gkrellm plugins, and they seemed to be pretty much
> limited in the same way.
>
> So, is there something simple that I don't know about? I really can't
> believe that it's this hard to launch Xscreensaver automatically.
>

> William

What you generally want to do for apps like Enlightenment (and optionally
Fluxbox) so you can launch apps beforehand is to create a ~/.xinitrc file (so
startx will work with it) and symlink ~/.xsession to it (so apps like GDM
will work with it). This file is basically a bash script that you can use
to launch a number of apps, but the important part is that you say "exec
<windowmanager>" as the very last part of the file:

---------start .xinitrc---------
#!/bin/sh

# launch the screensaver
xscreensaver &

# maybe you want to launch firefox at startup
mozilla-firefox &

# finally, launch the window manager
exec enlightenment

Save this and make it executable. Now, in GDM you should have a session
among your list that says "Default system session" or something like that.
Choose that session and login, and Enlightenment should start up along with
any other programs you put in that file.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org