[NBLUG/talk] ipcs/ipcrm

Ross Thomas boscorama at fastmail.us
Wed Jun 22 18:18:05 PDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:14:01 -0700 (PDT), "Walter Hansen"
<gandalf at sonic.net> said:
> Yay, it seemed to work with no error messages.

Cool.

> Thanks bunches.

Glad I could help.

> I wonder what's up with that postgres 10meg sms
> though? Is that normal?

> ------ Shared Memory Segments --------
> key        shmid      owner      perms      bytes      nattch     status
> 0x00000000 557058     postgres  600        10436608   1          dest

Two things to notice: 1)  It has no key; and 2) it's in pending destroy
state.

This implies to me that is is being used as a private shared memory
area for the postgres server and its forked children.  This is very
probably something to do with transaction management and internal
process control.  I assume something on the system requires postgres?
If not you can probably just disable it using 'chkconfig', or distro's
equivalent.

HTH

Ross.

--