[NBLUG/talk] HDD spins up on disk read and immediately spins back down - Debian Sid

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Jun 24 09:45:15 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:39:50AM -0700, A.C. wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm mostly pinging the group about this one because of how strange it
> is.  I've got a Debian unstable system (installed from Kanotix 2005-02)
> and for some strange reason, the hard drive keeps spinning down as soon
> as any read or write attempts are complete.  In other words, when using
> the system, if I attempt to open or write to a file, I can hear the hard
> drive spin up, complete the read or write operation, and then
> immediately spin back down.  Doing an apt-get update is particularly
> fun/noisy.
>
> I can't imagine this is by design, and I'm fairly certain it's only
> reducing the drive's longevity.  I've attempted to boot with noacpi set,
> but this didn't make much of a difference.  I don't see anything in
> KDE's power control tab that looks useful, and stopping laptop_mode
> didn't help either.  My system configuration is:
>
> Asus A7N8X nForce 2 chipset motherboard
> AMD Athalon XP 3000+ (2.2 GHz) proc
> 512 MB RAM
> 80 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 ATA/133 hard drive
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion about where to proceed next?  I see lots
> of stuff from wandering around Google about enabling spin-down modes for
> laptops, but nothing that quite addresses this problem.  Any assistance
> would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance,
>
> A.C.
> ******

In addition to laptop-mode, there's a chance that Kanotix included other
hdparm tweaks (or possibly boot-time kernel arguments) that control how
quickly the hard drive spins down. I'd check the lilo/grub boot-time
parameters and look for some sort of /etc/init.d/hdparm script as well.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org