[NBLUG/talk] Has anyone successfully updated FC3 with FC4?

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Mon Jun 27 16:40:36 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:03:39PM -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> I am getting an error when it gets to anaconda: "No module named
> constants_text".
>
> Todd

hmmm... That presumes that one is able to get FC3 running in the first
place (grrrr).  I was able to do a painless upgrade on a test box at
work from RH9 (maybe it was 8) to FC4, though.  I'm hoping to upgrade
my own work box from FC2 to FC4 when I feel I can live without it for
an hour or two (and after backing up whatever I feel I need to back
up...).

I've also managed to do a clean install of FC4 on my thinkpad.

I'm wondering if someone could expound a bit on the media check
failures that seem to have been plaguing the FC family since 2.  My
gripe about FC3 is that I was never able to get my disks to pass the
media check (and if I threw caution to the wind and tried installing
anyway, it would fail somewhere along the line).  There are apparantly
a couple of arguments that can be passed when you boot the disks that
are supposed to help.  The one that seemed to help in my case was
'linux ide=nodma'.  I'm afraid that the others I stumbled on in my
googling escape me now.

I haven't seen your particular error message.  I'm assuming that you
md5summed them, yes?

My best guess is that once downloaded, the discs should not be burned
at full speed (via cdrecord).  I burned the FC4's at something like 2x
after coastering a number of CDs at 48x or so.  Maybe I have a crappy
burner?

It seems weird to me that FC should be so finicky.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net