[NBLUG/talk] vpn via linksys befvp41 router

Tim Preston timp at sonic.net
Thu Mar 3 18:46:27 PST 2005

Dave,

Well that does clearify some of the questions I had.

First the home router (yours) Has an outbound connection (port) and
inbound connection (port). I usually call them Lan (inside) and Wan
(outside). The Wan connection will connect to the internet by whatever
means you have (cable,dsl, etc.). The Lan connection would then connect
to your local machine (home network, switch, etc.).

Yes. They also assign a port number to IP traffic to help determine what
application needs to get the traffic. Don't worry it just gets more
confusing the deeper you get.

 From the beginning; your home computer is connected the Lan side of
your router, Using the router's IP address and the given port number
(per your example) in the browser should take you to the router's config
pages. You may need to use HTTPS:, check with the usermanual. If this is
not working, there are some ways to verify whether you are having a
problem with your equipment or your configuration.

What brand of router is your home router? What kind of computer are you
using to connect to it? Are there other devices in the home network? Do
you still have regular Internet traffic?

Tim