[NBLUG/talk] Wireless configure in Debian

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri Mar 4 22:55:27 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 05:41:00PM -0800, Ian Sutherland wrote:
> debian:/home/ian# iwlist eth1 scan
> eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning.

That's odd, I thought that driver supported scanning.  Are you sure eth1
is the wifi card ?  /sbin/iwconfig will tell you which interfaces have
wireless extensions.

Did you try the easiest thing and: 'dhclient eth1' ?
Who knows, we might get lucky ;-)

What to do next depends on what you know about your wireless AP (access
point).  What is it's essid? is WEP turned on ?

Like I kinda went into on my first post, getting it going is usually just
a matter of using iwconfig to set the necessary parameters for the AP to
talk to you.
# iwconfig eth1 essid "foobeer" mode Managed key 'xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx'

then asking for a lease with dhclient or pump.

I know you don't have an Internet connection in Debian, but if any of
those commands provide information that you think would be useful, you
can always redirect it into a file...

Oh, and anyone else with better ideas, please jump in :-)  I know just
enough about wireless to (usually) get my packets in and out.

-troy