[NBLUG/talk] Can't boot Linux anymore!

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Sat Mar 5 19:00:11 PST 2005

AHhhh, you should have had a V8.  This isn't a grub problem, it's an
environment problem.  You need to be in a chroot'd environment for the
mounted Linux partition.

After you mount the Linux partition rw you need to cd into /mnt/hda2 then
# chroot .
# grub-install /dev/hda2

grub-install /dev/hda2 if you are going to use the Windoze boot loader in the
MBR.  If you plan to use grub as your primary boot loader you should put it
in the MBR with a

# grub-install /dev/hda

Your error reflects the fact that the Knoppix environment is mounted read
only.

--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com