[NBLUG/talk] Wireless configure in Debian

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Mon Mar 14 10:25:49 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:49:50AM -0800, Ian Sutherland wrote:
> I am still struggling with this problem, wireless connection does not
> start at boot
> with fixed IP Address.
>
> The following indicates that there is a problem with ...interfaces.
>
> debian:/home/ian# /etc/init.d/networking restart
> Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
> Reconfiguring network interfaces.../etc/network/interfaces:1: misplaced
> option
> ifdown: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
> /etc/network/interfaces:1: misplaced option
> ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
>
> Here is current interfaces file;
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo eth0
> iface lo inet loopback
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>   address 192.168.1.109
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>         gateway 192.168.1.1

Hmm.  I try this one:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

# wifi
iface eth0 inet static
    wireless-essid "SonomaGrove"
	address 192.168.1.109
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1

Note, AFAIK, the whitespace is not important.  I just find it easier to
read and maintain if things are visually separated.  The only actual
problem that I saw with what you posted was that 'auto eth0' was
duplicated.  However, the kernel was reporting a problem on line 1
(/etc/network/interfaces:1).

You'll need that essid in there to automatically connect.  Obviously,
correct it if I've mis-remembered it.

-troy