[NBLUG/talk] NTP troubles

Peter Lutz peter3 at sonic.net
Tue Mar 15 18:32:06 PST 2005

Good evening, and Help...
I run a couple of Debian Unstable boxen here which get upgraded very
frequently.  Most mornings, I run apt-get update/upgrade to keep things
right up to date.  This morning I ran the pair, and found that my NTP
server no longer works.  I have 1)rebooted.  2)removed and reinstalled
three packages: ntp, ntp-server, and ntp-simple. 3)removed --purge and
reinstalled the three packages.  And the problem is only on the older
box, that I use for my server.  The other unstable box has the same
three programs and it works just fine.  Only trouble is that it is part
time Windoz2000, so it's not a good candidate for a time server for the
other CPU's here.

There are strange symptoms.  When I run /etc/init.d/ntp-server restart,
ntpd seems to run once or some such.  I get one entry in loopstats and
peerstats.  I get no error messages, but ps ax | grep ntpd shows nothing
running.  There is a /var/run/ntpd.pid file that remains, but that seems
to be the only remnant of ntpd, other than the log entries.

So the problem is only on one box.  The deb packages are identical
between the two boxen.  I've done everything I can think of to get NTP
to run where I want it, but no joy.

Thank you.
--
Peter Lutz  AA6AV