KDE vs. Gnome (was Re: [NBLUG/talk] Mepis mini-mini review)

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Mon Mar 21 10:26:32 PST 2005

On Sun, March 20, 2005 18:27, Kyle Rankin said:

> KDE instead of Gnome

So, this keeps coming up... KDE or Gnome, Gnome or KDE?

I've used both, but neither as much as I've used commercial
GUI's.  I know what I want and like, but I really don't have
a good feel for which GUI is the best fit for me.

And, in the grand tradition of KDE-vs-Gnome comparisons, I'll
ask, "and what about those 'lightweight' and 'middleweight'
environments?"

Yes, I imagine that I could put a hundred hours or so into
using each and then make an informed decision.  But you
recall where I said that I know what I want and like?  I
*don't* want to hack around indefinitely.  I like a stable
environment where it's easy to do the things I want to do,
and continual tweaking is definitionally *not* stable.

FWIW, I've used Sun / Openlook more than any other environment,
and know/like it well.  When I found olvwm as a replacement for
Sun's olwm, I was *SO* happy.  Cool gfx, eh.  Transparent panes
(for menus/windows), feh.  Fun toys to impress simple-minded
'Doze users & other children.  (OK...  I'm straying into flame-
bait turf here; sorry  ;-)   I prefer functionality, and too
often things like transparency/translucency does stuff like
render text less readable.

Can anyone point me at a decent review of the options?  Note
that by "decent" I don't mean "concludes that --- is the best"
but "explores the different user/admin experiences of..."
For example, this one:
   http://www.linuxworld.com/story/32636.htm
from early '03, clearly finds KDE better.  In fact, the indictment
of Gnome's config options likens /etc/gconf to the MS-Win registry
file (apparently with good reason).  But, this experience is (I
presume) no longer relevant.

I see the VERY current:
   http://www.nerdsyndrome.com/kde-3.2.1-review/index.php
And he may do a Gnome one shortly, since a new Gnome is due out soon.

If you yourself have personal, recent experience with both, I'd
be happy to hear your thoughts too, rather than some "expert" from
a random website...

In case it's relevant, I'm currently using Debian, and strongly
considering moving to Slackware (either entirely, or in a dual-boot
config).

Thanks!

- Steve S.