[NBLUG/talk] Local laptop repair recommendations?

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Tue Mar 22 13:53:39 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:01:21AM -0800, Robert Hayes wrote:
> An acquaintance called asking for a local repair depot for her Dell
> laptop.  It has gone out of warranty, and she wants to
> increase/replace memory and the hard drive.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but most laptops that I've worked on from
Dell, IBM, HP, or Panasonic classify memory and HDD as
customer-replaceable units (CRU) or something of the sort.  Depending on
the model, RAM can be added or replaced by removing a screw and RAM
cover from the bottom of the laptop and the hard drive from a side of
the laptop.  The HDDs usually have some sort of packaging or caddy to
keep them in place.  The only tricky part is replacing the component
with the right part.  Some HDDs have different voltages, and making sure
you get a compatable SO-DIMM or whatever for the RAM.

Really, it's just about as easy as opening up a regular desktop case and
adding RAM.  And the HDD is even easier.

Jeremy