[NBLUG/talk] Fedora 3 and lvm2

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Sat May 7 08:30:44 PDT 2005

In a prior post I referred to mounting a second HD to my system under
the new HAL system.  After snooping around other forums and using
Google, I have increased my understanding somewhat about Fedora 3 and
it's file system management, yet in no way am I confortable with
understanding what is really going on.  Here is what I have found out so
far:

* The file system is managed by lvm2 (Logical Volume Manager) which
creates LVM entries.

* #mount displays

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

* #fdisk -l displays

Disk /dev/hda: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda2              14        9964    79931407+  8e  Linux LVM

Disk /dev/hdb: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hdb1   *           1        4865    39078081   8e  Linux LVM

* #lvdisplay displays

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                obhKwl-oiML-P38I-2x64-jtdW-o0El-B8jMsW
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                112.91 GB
  Current LE             3613
  Segments               2
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:0

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                0VrTdl-DQIm-5qlp-gBCE-4Y4w-L9uQ-FmRS8G
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                512.00 MB
  Current LE             16
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:1

It appears that the LV size of 112.91 GB is the combined size of the two
HD's.  In other words, the LVM system has combined the hard drives into
one logical entry. Could this be?

Does anyone on this forum have a good understanding of the LVM system in
Fedora 3?

Todd