[NBLUG/talk] Bluetooth?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat May 28 13:25:11 PDT 2005

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 12:30:17PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> * Two keyboards (one for each desktop)
> * Three mice (one for each computer)

Any reason you're going Bluetooth with these, rather than just using
wireless mice and keyboards?  (or am I totally confused here?)

In other words, do you even _need_ a driver (other than std USB kybd/mouse)
to control the old-fashioned (pre-Bluetooth-being-all-the-rage) cordless
devices?

> * Three printers (an inkjet on one desktop, two laser printers on the
> other desktop, all three use parallel ports and don't support USB)

The parallel<->bluetooth device mentioned by someone else sounds like it'd
work.  Of course, you could also get parallel<->ethernet and then use
802.11(b/g) wireless to print, maybe, too?

> * Two pairs of analog speakers (one for each desktop)

That'd definitely need bluetooth, I think. :)

> * A scanner

Hrm...

> * A memory card reader

Hrmmm...  Any reason you can't get a PC/MCIA one for the laptop and/or IDE
ones for the desktop (that insert right in the case and poke out, kinda like
a floppy or CD drive)?

> Admittedly I probably won't be able to make ALL of these wireless, and
> I'm probably forgetting a few right now (I can't check right now because
> I can't take my eyes off this kitten for more than 15 seconds, at least
> not until he falls asleep), but the fewer cables I have that he can chew
> on, the better!

I'm not trying to say "noo! don't use bluetooth!", but just pointing out
there might be some more tried-and-true ways that'd work 'out of the box'
with Linux. :^)

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com