[NBLUG/talk] Re: slow open office startup

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Tue Nov 8 11:28:36 PST 2005

I've installed it on several machines. I don't use it heavily, but it
seems very good to me. The install for win is rather slick now. I was
using the 2.0 beta (1.9?) to create pdf documents and I rather liked it.
The 2.0 version is rather pollised.

Hmmm. I just changed it to 20mb and it opens instantly, but then I just
oppened it and it seems to open slowly the first time you open it. Yes it
now opens within a second no matter which setting it is set on. It's just
that first open that hangs and I don't feel like rebooting right now to
see if it speeds up on that.

Just so folks know where I come from, I generally work in windows and am
much more familiar with that desktop. I'm rather unfamiliar with Linux
desktops although I can get arround in them. Mostly I suffer on
configuration stuff under KDE or gnome. This is because I generally work
remotely on several servers. My favorite remote management package is
webmin, but a putty window serves just fine (or half a dozzen).

Once things settle down a little (my store is going out of business) I'll
probably start using a Linux desktop at home. Anybody know if quickbooks
will run under linux/wine?