[NBLUG/talk] ICH7R

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Fri Nov 11 16:57:50 PST 2005

You can easily install Ubuntu on an 8 gig drive..  I'd recommend havving
your home partition on another hard drive, though, depending on what
you're planning to do with the box.

A fully installed OS can be around 2 GB with a general smattering of
normal applications, libraries and such for your average desktop
system.  Having your user files (/home) on a larger partition can be
very useful (and very potentially necessary) if you plan to do lots of
video or audio stuff.

A suggestion to help eliminate clutter inside your case is to switch as
much as possible to SATA as the data cables are MUCH more manageable
inside your case.

Of course, working with what you have is possible.  Ubuntu should easily
install to the secondary master position, and even install grub
appropriately if told to do so. (/dev/hdc is the secondary master
device)  Though, as I'm not familiar with the P5WD2, I don't know
whether it will support booting to devices on the IDE controller other
than "CDROM" or Primary Master.  My P4S800 supports booting to any
device on the IDE chain.  Either way you'll find out on the "Boot" menu
of your BIOS.

Hope that helps.  If you need more help, I might be able to help a
little over the phone when you're installing.

- Chris