[NBLUG/talk] More hard drive problems

Lincoln Peters lmpeters at mac.com
Mon Oct 3 10:32:52 PDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 9:26 AM, Bob Blick wrote:

> By having an array, you have dodged a bullet.
>
> At this point you have the ideal opportunity to rethink your ReiserFS
> choice. Imagine for a second that this was not in a RAID-5 array.
> Take a
> look at the recovery tools available for ReiserFS. Take a look at how
> poorly they work. I had two hard drives fail in three months, both
> running
> ReiserFS, and it completely blew me away how awful ReiserFS was as
> soon as
> something breaks.

Good point.  However, the array adds up to about 500GB, almost 400GB
of which are in use (don't ask), so unless there's a way to switch
filesystems WITHOUT copying the entire contents of the array to
another drive first, switching to ext3 (or any other filesystem)
would be non-trivial.

If there is a way that doesn't involve getting another new hard disk,
I'm open to suggestions.

Lincoln Peters
lmpeters at mac.com