[NBLUG/talk] Tor tonight

Aaron Grattafiori nite at sonic.net
Wed Oct 12 15:26:34 PDT 2005

Well im glad that everyone seemed to enjoy my talk. I'm also glad to
hear that people are intrested in running a tor node.
The server that my friends and I have had a little... heart attack the
night before my presentation, and thus I couldn't really show anything
about our server, or the bandwidth, etc. But the server OS got reloaded,
and our data is safe and we're currently setting things back up.

WRT54G and GS models are very intresting.
(GS is newer and has more memory/etc)
There's a lot you can do with them, (a friend of mine made a battery
pack for his so he can have an access point/router anywhere) and there
is signficant security problems that need to be addressed with having
insecure default configurations. You could use this to setup rogue
access points that overpower the main, 'good' access point. (but you can
do that with HostAP anyways...)
( I'm pretty sure that using a tool like curl you can remotely "push"
firmwire to routers that would act in the same manner as the default
configuration. ...That is scary....)
Anyways...

Someone had a request off list of the URL's I used to display my IP
address and location/etc...

Some of the following are the same, with an added few:
http://ipchicken.com
http://dnsstuff.com/ (good for a lot of stuff)
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/my-ip-address.ch
http://www.dnsstuff.com/info/geolocation.htm (geolocation is intresting)