[NBLUG/talk] SUSE 10.0 first impression

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Fri Oct 14 22:01:08 PDT 2005

I loaded SUSE 10.0 on a machine last night. SUSE has always been an easy install
and very pulled-together and well-detailed distro, so there are few significant
changes there.

However, there is one big change. It is very fast booting up. Twice as fast as I'm
used to linux booting up. There's a new directory called "preload" that probably has
something to do with it. The first shutdown was slower than normal, subsequent
shutdowns are fast.

Test machine is an 850MHz Duron. The machine I compared it to is an Athlon
1200MHz running SUSE 9.3

Bittorrent ISOs available at:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/suse/i386/10.0/iso/SUSE-10.0-CD-i386-GM.iso.torrent

and elsewhere.