[NBLUG/talk] Your choices for groupware applications?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 27 21:12:06 PDT 2005

Can anyone recommend a program (or a collection of programs) that can:

* Handle multiple e-mail accounts (including spam filtering via spamassassin
or a similar mechanism),
* Handle calendars and appointment reminders,
* Keep a to-do list,
* Manage an address book (not just e-mail addresses, but also phone numbers,
street addresses, et al.),
* Sync with a Palm device,
* Run on Linux (I'm using Debian/Etch),
* Do all of the above RELIABLY???

I've tried both Novell Evolution and KDE's Kontact suite, and I've run into
problems with both, specifically:

* Evolution: Palm sync'ing program only works if you're running the GNOME
desktop, sync'ing sometimes results in duplicated entries, a single error in
Evolution's internal database can take down everything (and sometimes can't
be fixed without data loss).

* Kontact: Memory leaks (and I can feel them on 1GB of RAM!), Palm sync'ing
program crashes if it syncs twice without being restarted, e-mail database
not efficient with large mailboxes, doesn't play well with IMAP accounts that
are accessed from multiple points, occasional errors that don't make any
sense (such as the address book being locked by another nameless process).

(Note that some of the issues I mentioned above only revealed themselves after
months of routine usage.)

So if there is a better solution, I'd REALLY like to know!

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

According to Kentucky state law, every person must take a bath at least
once a year.

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email
 X     No Word docs in email